Perfectly Paleo Lasagna!Feb 28, 2022
Lasagna is one of my favorite meals to enjoy during the cooler months!
Over the last couple of years, I've been experimenting with lasagna and how to make a gluten-free, dairy-free version. With market demand, we have seen an explosion of products now available that are gluten-free and dairy-free making it easier, now than ever, to create alternatives to some of your favorite traditional dishes.
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free
Hear me when I say that not all gluten and dairy are "bad". However, these food groups are known to be inflammatory foods for most people. When inflammatory foods are consumed, the intestinal lining can become angry and cause an intolerance of these foods. A food sensitivity test can give some insight as to how the body is responding to different foods while a GI MAP test can provide a comprehensive overview of the state of the microbiome. With proper gut healing, the foods that are elevated on a food sensitivity test can oftentimes be reintroduced into a diet without issue. In other cases, these foods may be ones that you choose to avoid based on the messages and signals your body is giving you.
While experimenting with different ingredients, it just so happened that I preferred ingredients for this recipe that fit into a paleo-type diet. A paleo diet is one that consists of fruits, vegetables, animal proteins, seafood, eggs, nuts, seeds, healthy fats, and natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, and stevia. With a paleo diet, legumes, grains, processed foods, and artificial or refined sugar are avoided.
Where to Find the Ingredients
Living in a large city, I know that I do have the advantage to have access to some of these ingredients in my local grocery store. If that is not the case for you, have no fear, my friend! You can order these specialty ingredients online and have them delivered to your doorstep! Here are the special paleo ingredients you will want to add to use to create this yummy dish. I've included the link for you to purchase directly.
Cappello's Grain-Free Lasagna Sheets - You can also grab these from Thrive Market for additional discounts. (Use my link to save 40% on your first Thrive order).
Miyoko's Liquid Vegan Pizza Mozzarella - I know this sounds weird, but trust me, it's AMAZING and made from cashews!
Kite Hill Ricotta Cheese - A dairy-free option made from almonds.
Perfectly Paleo Lasagna
Yields 6 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1lb Italian sausage - pork or chicken
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 24oz pasta sauce
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large handfuls of fresh, baby spinach
- 8oz Kite Hill Ricotta Cheese
- 8oz Miyoko's Vegan Pizza Mozzarella
- 6 Capello's Lasagna Sheets
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Brown the sausage. Drain if needed.
- Add the garlic, onion, and green pepper to the sausage and cook until fragrant and soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add the pasta sauce and stir to combine. Simmer on low heat.
- Meanwhile, in a second pan, heat 1/2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add the spinach. Cook until wilted.
- In a bowl, mix together the ricotta and spinach.
- Spray a 9x9 pan with oil. Add 1 cup of sauce to the pan and spread it around.
- Cut the lasagna noodles to fit your pan. (Freeze the extra to use for mini lasagna roll-ups or other fun recipes). Add 3 noodles to the bottom of the pan. They will overlap.
- Next, add 1/2 of the meat sauce mixture. Top the meat sauce mixture with ricotta and spinach. Drizzle with 4oz of liquid mozzarella.
- Repeat the noodles and meat sauce. Top with the remaining liquid mozzarella.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and brown.
- Cut into 6 servings and enjoy with a delicious salad!
*This recipe freezes well!*